Good afternoon everyone. Welcome back to our bi-weekly blog from our official partners at Nutrikate. This week’s topic is “Weight”.
Check out what the Nutrikate team have to say below!
We hope you all had a lovely weekend. Today we wanted to look at weight and why it’s not as straight forward as you may think.
Weight is dictated by so much more than self-control
As nutritionists and overall health practitioners, it is our role to promote the value of health and encourage people to invest time in improving their health. It is also important that we help to educate on the different factors that influence health & today we’re going to touch on weight.
Weight maintenance follows a straightforward principle on paper. To gain weight you must consume more calories than you burn, and to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. However, it’s much more complicated in real life and there are many factors that influence a person’s ability to maintain what is considered a healthy weight.
Barriers to maintaining a healthy weight:
– Low socio-economic status, particularly during childhood/adolescence if health wasn’t prioritised due to inability to afford healthy foods/pay for extra sports and other physical activities
– Living in an area surrounded by fast food restaurants with limited access to healthier options
– Negative body image brought on by social media/society implying that we need to look a certain way
– Never being taught how to cook
– Not conditioned to be physically active
– Living in an urban area with limited access to safe green spaces for exercise
– A physical or medical condition that can cause weight gain or makes weight loss difficult
– Medication that causes weight gain
It is important to recognise that weight gain/weight loss is not as straightforward in real life as it looks on paper. There are so many external factors to consider and as practitioners we want to help you understand the barriers you might be facing without even realising it.
Thanks for the read!
As always, thank you for the read! Have a great week!
The NutriKate Team
Check out our services…
Ever considered working with us? Contact the team at info@NutriKate.com to see what we can do for you and your needs.
Have a fantastic week everyone!
The Excape Team💫
Subscribe to our Blog
Want the latest and greatest from our blog straight to your inbox?